Brill Encyclopedia of Early Christianity Online

Get access

Amphipolis
(1,443 words)

Amphipolis is an ancient city that was a conduit of eastern Macedonia and became an Athenian colony in the year 437 BCE. It was in a strategic position along the Strymon River and 8 km from the port at the Aegean Sea (Eion). On its sides were the gold mines of the Pangaion. Its name (meaning around the city), according to Thucydides, stems from the fact that the river ran around city. After the Battle of Pydna in 168 BCE, Lucius Aemilius Paulus made it the capital of one of the four districts of…

Cite this page
di Berardino, Angelo, “Amphipolis”, in: Brill Encyclopedia of Early Christianity Online, General Editor David G. Hunter, Paul J.J. van Geest, Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte. Consulted online on 23 April 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2589-7993_eeco_SIM_00000141>
First published online: 2018
First print edition: 20180827



▲   Back to top   ▲