Brill Encyclopedia of Early Christianity Online

Get access

Axiopolis
(1,010 words)

Axiopolis was founded as a port by the Greeks of Tomis in the 4th century CE upon a hill along the left bank of the River Axius on the right shore of the Danube, almost at their meeting point, naer the little isle of Hinog, about 50 km from Tomis. Previously it was called Heracleia. It was a port and a fortress, where one could station the fleet; in Roman times it was the seat of the Collegium nautae universi Danubii. It was there that the Legio II Herculea stationed itself, created around 285 C…

Cite this page
di Berardino, Angelo, “Axiopolis”, in: Brill Encyclopedia of Early Christianity Online, General Editor David G. Hunter, Paul J.J. van Geest, Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte. Consulted online on 19 April 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2589-7993_eeco_SIM_00000363>
First published online: 2018
First print edition: 20180827



▲   Back to top   ▲