Joppa (Jaffa: Heb יפו; Gk ᾽Ιόππη; Lat. Ioppe) is an ancient port city located in modern Israel in south Tel Aviv.
History of the Port City
Joppa is mentioned for the first time in the reign of Tutmosis III (1479–1425 BCE) in a Karnak temple inscription among the cities under his dominion (ANET 242). Later, the city is under the control of Sidqia, the Philistine king of Ashkelon until Sennacharib, per his annals, who conquered it circa 701 BCE (ANET 287).