Inscribed Nimrud Ivories (2.88)
(415 words)

Subject: Monumental Inscriptions from the Biblical World; West Semitic Monumental Inscriptions; Miscellaneous Inscriptions

Commentary

A number of inscribed fragments of ivory inlay were found during the 1961 season of the British excavations of the stronghold of Fort Shalmaneser at Nimrud, the ancient Assyrian capital of Calah, on the east bank of the Tigris. The ivories, which bear both Aramaic and Hebrew inscriptions, are believed to have been brought to Calah …

Cite this page
McCarter, P. Kyle, “Inscribed Nimrud Ivories (2.88)”, in: Context of Scripture Online, Editor in Chief: W. Hallo. Consulted online on 27 June 2017 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2211-436X_cos_aCOSB_2_88>



▲   Back to top   ▲