Khoms
(378 words)

Khoms (Ar. al-Khums), built by the Ottomans in 1871, is a port town on the Mediterranean coast of Libya 120 kilometers  (75 miles) east of Tripoli. Jews lived in nearby Leptis Magna (medieval Islamic Lebda) from the Roman period until the late twelfth century. Documents from the Cairo Geniza mention a number of people with the family name Lebdī. Jews returned to the area in the nineteenth century when Khoms became a center for processing esparto grass, used in the production of quality paper. Mainly under the management of Jews who moved there from Tripoli because of t…

Cite this page
Rachel Simon, “Khoms”, in: Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, Executive Editor Norman A. Stillman. Consulted online on 19 August 2017
First published online: 2010



▲   Back to top   ▲